Hi there. My name is Shanna Switzer, and I’m so glad you’re considering birth or postpartum support!
A lifelong Alaskan, I mostly grew up in and around Fairbanks and North Pole, and moved to the Anchorage area in 1997. My husband Nate and I got married in 2002, and we have four children, ranging in ages from 15 to 4. I enjoy camping, hiking, and exploring our great state with my busy and boisterous family. I love literature, lattes, gardening, and my golden retriever, Copper. I’m an adventurer, a voracious reader, and a firm believer that laughter truly is the best medicine.
My four birth experiences were powerful and transformative. I came away from each with the realization that I was stronger than I ever thought possible, and with an overwhelming sense of connection to other moms. I’m passionate about encouraging new mothers and supported parenthood for all new families. That passion led me to birth work as a certified doula and childbirth educator, which has been wonderfully rewarding to me, personally and professionally, as I’ve supported dozens and dozens of families through their pregnancies, births, and those precious early days with their new babies.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and the postpartum year are vulnerable, intimate, especially tender times – I am truly honored each time I’m entrusted to share the journey.
As your Doula you can expect me to:
- listen and truly hear you
- respect your choices
- trust in you and your ability to birth
- empower you to negotiate the best care for you and your baby
- understand and seek to fill your physical, emotional, and informational needs
- support and reassure your partner
- respect the birthing environment, honor and maintain the integrity of your birth space during labor
As a Childbirth Educator I provide:
- interactive, engaging classes
- evidence-based information
- quality resources
- support and reassurance for your birth partner
- convenience and flexibility
As a Placenta Specialist I offer:
- discreet, fast service
- information and resources
- qualified and trained encapsulation
- the highest safety standards, precautions and packaging
Read through testimonials, contact me for a free, no obligation consultation, or send me an email. I would love to connect with you to chat about my training, experience, and qualifications, the services I provide and the potential benefits of adding me to your birth team for your healthy and supported pregnancy, birth, and postpartum.
- DONACertified Doula CD(DONA)
- DONA International Alaska State Representative
- GentleBirth Certified Instructor (GBCE)
- Certified Spinning Babies® Parent Educator
- Evidence Based Birth® Instructor
- Certified Doula, Childbirth Professionals International(CPI CCD)
- Vice President, Alaska Birth Collective
- IPPA Certified Placenta Encapsulation Specialist
- IPPA Certified Postpartum Doula
- Biologix Bloodborne Pathogens Certified
- Servsafe Food Safety Certified
- ACBE Breastfeeding Workshop Attendee
- Armed Forces Operation Special Delivery Doula
- Member, American Pregnancy Association
- Rebozo Trained
- Breastfeeding USA Counselor Trainee