Placenta Encapsulation can potentially preserve the reported benefits of your placenta, all in a convenient capsule.
- Increased release of the hormone oxytocin, which may help the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding with the infant.
- Pain relief. Some research has shown that ingesting the placenta may increase the effect of opioids. (This benefit may be especially helpful for mothers who have had a cesarean section, episiotomy or severe tears, or prolapse of the uterus or cervix.)
- Possible decrease in postpartum depression levels and assistance with hormonal stabilization. Possible improvement in symptoms of the “baby blues”.
- Restoration of iron levels in the blood.
- Increase in milk production.
Hormones known to be in the placenta:
- Oxytocin – The feel good or love hormone. Creates feelings of bonding, pain relief, happiness and elation
- Cortisone – This hormone unlocks energy stored in the body and combats stress (cortisol)
- Interferon – This hormone stimulates the immune system to fight off infections while the mother is healing from the birth
- Prostaglandins – Act as an anti-inflammatory
- Hemoglobin – Replenishes iron, stimulates iron production in the blood
- Urokinase inhibiting factor and factor XIII – Lessens bleeding and promotes faster healing
- Prolactin/HPL – Stimulates healthy mammary function and milk production
FULL PACKAGE SPECIAL:
Encapsulation, food-safe-dyed print and umbilical cord keepsake, *plus* local pickup and delivery to/from any hospital/birth center/residence in Anchorage or Eagle River: $300
A la carte options:
You may reserve space on my calendar by contracting services at no charge, or pay in full for placenta services in advance, see options available in myshop.
The Placenta is amazing. This incredible organ is the lifeline between you and your baby, supplying oxygen-rich blood, nutrients and hormones during pregnancy. The placenta is produced by the mother’s body for this very specific purpose, and then expelled when its purpose is fulfilled after the baby or babies are born.
You may find it difficult to find solid evidence regarding the benefits of placentophagia (the process of consuming the placenta postpartum).
Unfortunately, we do not have any current, wide-scale, double blind, placebo controlled studies, and the majority of the information we do have regarding placenta consumption has been anecdotal, from the women who have tried it.
Basic Heated Method
The traditional heated process involves steaming, dehydrating, and grinding the placenta into fine powder, then filling your choice of clear vegetarian or gelatin capsules. You also have the choice of berry flavored opaque capsules, which are particularly beneficial if the thought of seeing or smelling placenta powder bothers you.
Placenta Print and Cord Keepsake
Placenta print and cord keepsake included at no additional charge with encapsulation, or I can create a print and keepsake and either dispose of or return your placenta to you if you prefer not to have your placenta encapsulated or you cannot for any reason. For the print, I will utilize the natural placenta and/or food safe dye, whichever you prefer, to capture your baby’s “tree of life” on quality art paper
By tincturing a small piece of the placenta in a high grade alcohol, you can prolong the reported benefits of your placenta. Tinctures can be used to ease symptoms of any trauma, emotional distress, when postpartum cycles return, and during menopause.
Your placenta tincture will need to sit for at least six to eight weeks before use. It is very shelf-stable if kept in a cool dark place, and will last for many years to come. Placenta tincture can be used in addition to and long after your capsules are gone.
Add your placenta powder to an organic, nourishing body balm with myriad uses for promoting healing and protecting your skin. This salve base is made of organic coconut and sweet almond oils, herbs, and beeswax.
Placenta has often been used in for its healing and restorative properties. Placenta Salve has many uses, including applying to c-section scarring once the wound has closed, perineal tearing, hemorrhoids, diaper rash, eczema, sunburn and skin irritations.
Last minute service is often available, for guaranteed availability, services must be contracted prior to your baby’s arrival.
Anchorage Placenta Encapsulation
“Shanna is amazing. She has such a friendly demeanor, you feel good about asking questions and have confidence in the information you receive. I would highly recommend her doula and placenta services.”
“Shanna was very courteous and professional. I received my products so quickly! I feel like I started healing faster after starting my placenta pills, and my mood has been much more stable after having my daughter than it was after having my son and not having my placenta encapsulated. I would highly recommend encapsulation, and Shanna!”
“Shanna was so informative about the process of placenta encapsulation. Our experience was great!”