KNOW YOUR RIGHTS: LEGAL AND HUMAN RIGHTS IN CHILDBIRTH FOR BIRTH PROFESSIONALS AND ADVOCATES
RESCHEDULED to 2/8/19 6-9 pm at Alaska Birth Services: 2028 E Northern Lights Blvd., Suite 201, Anchorage, AK 99508
Through a combination of video lectures and group discussion, this course will cover:
- Human rights in childbirth: what it means and the landmark European case that articulated this definition with respect to privacy
- Informed consent and refusal: what this human and legal right means and ACOG’s position on it, common violations, and obstetric violence
- Factors in how our rights are treated in birth: Tradition, Policies & Protocols, Paternalism, so-called Maternal-Fetal Conflict, Provider Preference or Practice Style, Liability, Provider Trauma, and “Othering” & Racial Bias
- Enforcement of Rights: hospital and state board complaint processes, legal options, recent important cases
- Solutions: immediate and long-term
This course is worth 1.5 nursing contact hours (which can be used by most doula/CBE certifications)! There is no other class out there like this. Originally created for Evidence Based Birth®, it has been one of the most popular modules in their Instructor curriculum for the last couple of years. One Instructor said: “Love, LOVE Cristen’s module! It really helps me bridge the gap with my clients between what they think they are allowed to do and what they have the right to do. It gives all of us more confidence, which helps us navigate the system in a less defensive way.”
This class was written for birth workers and some material is specifically for doulas, but everyone is welcome to attend: birth workers of all kinds, educators, activists, mothers, partners, non-mobile babies.
Space is limited! Please reserve early!